Women in India are slowly, yet surely raising their women power .The Indians are frequently talking about terms,” women empowerment” and “ feminism”. Women has shown their talent in almost every field ranging from medical & engineering to aviation & nautical and even they have joined Army, Navy and Air force.
Time definitely changes and yes it changes for the better always! The same implies to women entrepreneurs in India, who has entered the business arena and their no. is increasing day by day , due to changing Socio-economic conditions in the country. If given an opportunity, the women always excel in this sector.
So, below given is the list of ten women who have no competition ,when it comes to their net worth.
Billionaire Savitri Jindal leads the pack.
- SAVITRI JINDAL : Billionaire Savitri Jindal leads the pack. The Chairperson of O.P. Jindal Group, she has a net worth of USD 5.2 billion. In India, she is the 16th richest person and also possess a global rank of 453. Although , this ranking was 283 in 2015 but ,she made an improvement in India ,from being 23rd, last year. Her wealth has declined by close to $10 billion , in last 5 years ,due to a downward slide in shares of her O.P. Jindal group companies.
The most notable fall has been that of Jindal Steel & Power, run by younger son Naveen, which saw its shares halve in the past year. JSW Steel, which Mumbai-based son Sajjan runs, is faring better after the government imposed import duties to protect domestic producers against cheap Chinese imports.
His son Parth leads JSW Venture Fund, a new VC firm to invest in technology startups.
- INDU JAIN : Indu is the Chairperson of the media conglomerate Bennett Coleman & Co ,which publishes the largest daily newspapers, The Times Of India, The Economic Times and the world’s biggest financial newspaper The Wall Street Journal. She also owns popular TV channels Times Now and ET Now.
Jain was conferred the Padma Bhushan, the nation’s third highest civilian honor, this year.
She has a global rank of 549 and a net worth of $3.1 billion.
Indu’s sons Samir and Vineet run the $1.3 billion (revenues) group, which reported a 44% jump in net profits in 2015 in advertising revenues. They are setting up Bennett University near Delhi to offer entrepreneurship education in collaboration with Babson College.
- SMITA CRISHNA GODREJ : She stands at the 810th position in the world with a net worth of $2.2 billion. She is making her maiden appearance on the billionaires’ list by virtue of a one-fifth stake in family assets.
Her brother Jamshyd runs consumer goods firm Godrej & Boyce. Her husband Vijay Crishna, a well-known theatre actor, and daughter Nyrika, work in the group. Two years ago, she was in the news when she bought a heritage home worth $60 million which once belonged to India’s atomic energy pioneer Homi Bhabha.
- LEENA TEWARI : The fourth Indian woman billionaire in the list is Leena Tewari and she is the chairperson of privately owned Indian generics maker USV, known for its drugs for diabetes and cardiovascular diseases . . She is also making her debut on the billionaires’ list. She is now ranked as the 46th richest Indian. The firm has its roots in a small venture started by her grandfather, Vithal Balkrishna Gandhi, a noted social reformer and politician, to import medicines. It expanded into manufacturing in a joint venture with Revlon in 1961. Her husband Prashant is the MD of USV. She is also the author of “Pipes and Dreams” which is a biography of her grandfather .
- ANURADHA VINOD GUPTA : She is the 74th richest person in the India and 1577th in the world. She has assets worth $1.1 billion. She is founder & CEO of “Vows for Eternity”,a New York based matrimonial search. It has established its presence in Mumbai, Delhi ,Singapore & Dubai also.
- KIRAN MAZUMDAR SHAW : She is the Chairperson and Managing Director of Bengaluru based company Biocon. Her net worth is $994 million. She is the 85th most powerful women in India according to Forbes.She founded Biocon at the age of 25 and with her leadership skills, the company has grown as one of the biggest biotechnology firms in India. The current chairperson of Indian Institute of management (IIM) Bangalore, and has received Othmer Gold Medal for outstanding contributions to the progress of science and chemistry.
- ANU AGA : Anu is the Chairperson of Thermax Ltd , an energy and environment engineering company from 1996 to 2004. After retirement, she is now focusing on social work. Her net worth is around $790 million. She is ranked 94th as the richest person in India.She joined the company, which was run by her husband, in 1985, and took charge as chairperson in 1996 after the death of her husband. She is also a co-founder of Teach for India, a not-for-profit organization that recruits people to teach in schools for low-income kids.
- SHOBHANA BHARTIA : Bhartia is the Chairperson and Editorial Director of The Hindustan Times Media Group. The group runs an English daily and a Hindi daily of the same name and a business paper, Mint. She is the granddaughter of industrialist KK Birla. She joined Hindustan Times in 1986 as the chief executive. She holds a net worth of $645 million and is ranked 93rd in India. The group also owns four Fm radio stations across the country and many prominent websites, including the job portal, Shine.com. She is the pro-chancellor of the renowned Birla Institute of Technology and Sciences – Pilani.
- VIDYA MURKUMBI : Vidya and her son Narendra Murkumbi together have assets worth $490 million. They own Shree Renuka Sugars, which is the fastest growing sugar company in the country in the country based in Belgaum, Karnataka. It has a refining capacity of 4000 tonnes a day. Vidya was also ranked 97th richest person in India.Shree Renuka Sugars has 21% market share in India’s fuel ethanol market. The company founded in 1998 had bought a Brazilian sugar company for $82 million.
- Kaveri Kalanithi : She is the Managing Director of Sun TV Network. Kaveri is one of the highest paid business women in India as she takes away a compensation package of around $11 million.She is the wife of the media tycoon Kalanithi Maran. Sun TV network is a Tamil satellite television station launched on April 14, 1993. Founded by Kalanithi Maran, Sun TV is one of the most viewed entertainment channels in India.