It’s an undeniable truth that movies which feature a strong, independent female lead aren’t exactly in abundance. So ,when we do get treated to movies of the like, we cherish them, we watch them over and over again, and we tend to never forget the indelible characters which have shaped our own decisions as women. These girls aren’t perfect by any standards—but the reason we look up to them as our role models is because rather than give up or rely on a man to solve their problems, they choose to pull from their inner strength and in the end they come out on top of the world because they did things their way.
Below given is the list of greatest movies with fearless female leads :
When one makes a movie about five-time world boxing champion Mary Kom, you ought to watch it. Priyanka Chopra puts life into Kom’s role and is just as energetic and hardworking as Kom is in real life. A wife, a mother and a fighter, she is the modern wonder woman. Priyanka has, quite literally, given her blood and sweat to the movie and thus, it deserves to be watched.
2) Bend It Like Beckham (2002): Gurinder Chadha’s magnum opus is all about girl power. Beg, lie, fight but do not let go of your dreams because of gender stereotypes. And a more befitting ode to women football fans might not be found.
3) Baby Boom(1987) : It is for all the workaholic women. We all know that life never fails to surprise us with something or the other. J.C Wiatt’s life too surprised her when she had to take up the responsibility of a toddler from a deceased cousin. A woman who is passionate about her work gets fired due to the baby. But for Wiatt, life had just begun. She figured out something even more powerful and interesting which actually resolved all her issues. After a rough start, she succeeded in selling “Country Baby”, her gourmet baby food, and her business boomed just like her life. So all you working mothers, here’s all the tricks and treat for your work-life balance.
4) Fargo(1996) : The lead of this Coen brothers neo-noir comedy thriller is a pregnant detective investigating the case of two homicidal maniacs. For every time there is a movie of a macho man punching and making cars fly, there is Fargo, depicting a woman at her most vulnerable and yet her strongest time.
5) Thelma and Louise :If there is one movie that shows the power of female friendship and support, it is Thelma and Louise. It is the story of two women who take a break from their usual lives and go on a seemingly harmless road trip. But things soon get out of hand and they are pitted against the entire world for their survival and they only have each other for help.
6) Erin Brockovich(2000)
Erin Brockovich is the woman who single-handedly brought down the energy corporation Pacific Gas and Electric Company to their knees and saved a lot of lives from chromium poisoning. It is quite a feat for an individual to fight against such a giant. She shows us not to back away from a fight if it is for the right reasons.
The simple girl next door from Dilli wins our hearts with the little things that she does. From not needing a man to go on a honeymoon, to choosing freedom over marriage, her journey from a shy girl to someone who doesn’t take anybody’s shit is both touching and entertaining. Another masterpiece from Kangana, this one!
8) Winter’s Bone(2010) : This movie just sets to prove that age is never a hurdle when you set your mind to something. Seventeen year old Ree takes care of the entire family, destitute and abandoned by the father. She sets out to look for her father, but that is when things turn for the worse. But then Ree is not one to give up so easily.
Sometimes, even the tiniest thing can bring a lot of inspiration. The movies mentioned above have characters that definitely defines one of us. Movies can be life-changing if we try to implement the right message.