Even though one should never be judged for the colour of his/her skin but s till tanning is not considered healthy for glowing skin and its unavoidable especially in summers !! Even though exposure to the sun is important for deriving Vitamin D but the darkening of skin colour happens due to excessive exposure to the ultraviolet radiation which increases the melanin content of the skin . To combat this common skin issue, people should use natural solution which has no side effects on the skin. The best part is that you don’t even have to spend much to get the flawless complexion.
Below given are many simple natural treatments that can lighten a sun tan and restore a lighter complexion:
- Lemon and honey : Mix equal quantities of honey and lemon juice and apply directly to the tanned areas. Leave the mixture on for 20 minutes and wash using a mild soap. Use it twice a day for supple skin.
- Yogurt and Tomato pack : Mix two spoon of tomato pulp with 1 spoon of yoghurt. Apply the pack to your face and wash after thirty minutes to remove sun tan. You may use it daily.
- Lemon glycerin face pack: Mix glycerin and lemon in equal ratio. This mixture can be used as tan removal cream at night daily and can be washed in the morning to get soft skin.
- Cucumber & turmeric : Mix two tablespoons of fresh cucumber juice with pinch of turmeric . Mix it well and apply it on the tanned skin. Leave it for 30 minutes and then wash it off with lukewarm water. You can also rub freshly cut slices of cucumber on your skin. Apply it twice in a day for a month for best results.
- Potato: Peel 2-3 potatoes, cut them into chunks and put them in a blender to make a paste. Apply the paste over the affected skin area. Let it dry for about 20 minutes and then wash it off.Apply it regularly for healthy skin.
- Papaya and honey face pack :Mix papaya and honey to get a paste. Apply the paste on your face and hands and wash off with cold water to get supple skin.
- Milk & honey pack: Take about a tablespoon of milk. Add honey to it. Apply the mixture on face for 30 min and wash it with lukewarm water to get glowing complexion .
- Gram flour & Curd : Mix the gram flour with curd and rub it all over the affected skin area. Wait 20 minutes before washing if off with water. Use this method on alternate days for glowing skin. You may also mix rose water & lemon for best results.
- Aloe Vera : Directly apply the Aloe-vera gel from the plant on your face and leave it on to dry for 15 minutes. Wash your face with lukewarm water to get supper skin instantly. Regular use also avoids ageing.
- Sandal wood turmeric pack : Mix sandal wood and pure turmeric powder in a ratio of 1:1 and add rose water to make a fine paste. Apply this paste for half an hour and then wash it off with lukewarm water. Apply it daily for best results
The best part about all the above remedies is that all the ingredients are natural and easily available in every kitchen. Also, “Prevention is always better than the cure.” So, it’s better to take preventive measures for tanning rather than spending the time to treat it.
- Avoid getting too much skin exposed to the sun by wearing full clothes.
- Always use a sunscreen offering a higher SPF than 30.
- Sunglasses and hats provide extra protection.
In case of severe sun tanning, it becomes vital to consult a skin doctor. This ensures that you are free from any risk of skin cancer or sunburn.