Dry and chapped lips is the common problem faced by all men & women as lips has no oil glands. It may happen in any season: summers or winters! Dryness and peeling skin on the lips can get a bit annoying. Also, your lips are a focal point of your smiling face. Smooth, healthy lips can make you look more vibrant and attractive.
The best way to prevent this problem is by providing the lips with the hydration and nourishment . Before we get into the wonderful home remedies , for chapped lips, it’s important to know that Water is an essential part of any beauty regimen. It helps to keep your body and skin well hydrated. No matter how many remedies or lip balms you use, if you do not drink enough water, your chapped lips are going to keep coming back. So, first and foremost, drink plenty of water during the day and use the remedies given below for faster results.
- Honey: The moisturizing property of honey is great to heal the cracked and chapped lips. Simply apply pure honey on lips, several times a day .It has anti-bacterial properties, which treat the lips well.. Honey can also be mixed with glycerine and applied on the lips.
- Coconut oil : . Just rub a small amount onto your lips several times a day.It is one of the best natural chapped lip remedies. It’s rich in medium-chain fatty acids that easily absorb into the skin. Best of all, it serves as a softening agent and a moisturizer.
- Aloe Vera Gel : The healing properties of aloe vera are well known to everyone and it also helps a person having dry and chapped lips. Aloe vera gel can be applied directly on lips, which besides healing the chapping, also relieves the pain. Though, the taste of aloe vera is unpleasant, but it has powerful remedial features.
- Mustard Oil: Applying lukewarm mustard oil in the navel is the best cure for very dry lips.
- Cucumber : Rub a small cucumber sliceover your chapped lips. Leave the juice on your lips for 15 to 20 minutes, then wash it off. Raw cucumber is 90 percent water and therefore acts as a great natural moisturizer for dry, chapped lips. Cucumber is also rich in vitamin C, which enhances collagen production.
- Petroleum Jelly: Petroleum jelly is the best and easiest way of treating dry lips. Simply apply petroleum jelly over lips, several times a day, to provide them proper nourishment and protection.Before applying petroleum jelly, a thin coat of honey can also be applied. Remove the coating in the morning, after keeping it overnight, with the help of a cotton ball dipped in warm water. Repeat the remedy twice a day.
- Green Tea bag for chapped lips : Dip the green tea bag in hot water for a few minutes. Place this tea bag on the lips. Leave it on for a few minutes. Repeat this once daily. Green tea contains antioxidants and tannins that help to heal the dry and dehydrated skin on your lips. It also relieves the burning sensation you may experience due to the dryness .
- Lukewarm Ghee: You can apply lukewarm ghee or butter in navel or on lips to get rid of chapped and cracked lips.
- Sugar method for chapped lips : Mix the sugar with the olive oil and honey. Do not let it dissolve. Apply this mixture on your lips and scrub gently in circular motions. Wash the scrub off with lukewarm water.Use this scrub every alternate day initially. Then, continue to use it once or twice a week to maintain soft and smooth lips. Scrubbing your lips will exfoliate and get rid of the layer of dry and flaky skin. As a result, your lips will become soft and supple. This also reveals their natural color as circulation is improved.
- Milk Cream: The milk cream is a great natural lip moisturizer, which can be used daily by directly applying on lips and gently washing it with lukewarm water. This is an excellent treatment for severe dry lips.