It’s a sad fact of the world we live in that women need to be more aware of self defense tactics than men.
Many women are scared every day, because they know that if a man decides to attack them, they won’t stand a chance against his enhanced strength. Women need to make self-protection a greater priority.
The more informed you are, the better prepared you will be in the event you are targeted . It’s just as important to be aware of a few simple tips and techniques that can help you escape or survive your attack unmolested.
- Show that you’re aware:Always be alert and act that you are aware of what’s happening around you. Potential assailants prefer women that seem distracted or preoccupied. If you look assertive and aware, they might never initiate the assault. Consequently, your best self defense strategy is to not be an easy target. Walk tall with good posture &head up. Don’t wear headphones, your ears are a valuable resource in knowing what is going on around you especially after dark.
- Mentally Prepare Yourself : By mentally preparing yourself, you will be less likely to become frozen by fear and unable to defend yourself if the “unthinkable” were to happen. Be aware , that such an incident may happen you anytime. So, prepare yourself beforehand, to how to react in such a situation instead of just standing still & bear the worst. Use mental imagery to plan a strategy for different scenarios. By contemplating threatening situations in this way, you are training your body and mind to act from a place of power instead of weakness and paranoia.
- Prepare your body:If you sense danger, immediately go to a starting fighting position. Move your hands close to your chest, place your right foot a bit ahead of the left and tilt your body forward. Your body is now ready for a physical confrontation. Take a self-defense seminar, or at the very least watch some videos online. Practice the techniques you learn. Don’t let the hair get in the way. It’s better to let your hair out and tuck it into your collar. They also look for clothing that will be easy to remove quickly, like short skirts or anything with straps that can be cut. So, dress yourself properly. Avoid tight fitting clothes that will restrict your movement.
- Stay Visible : Be conscious of the route you choose to get home. If there are busier streets with better lighting that add ten minutes to your walk but will keep you safe, take them. Take a wide path around corners to avoid being surprised. You can make yourself a harder target by controlling your accessibility, setting and circumstance
- Be Car Smart : Predators target parking lots and cars to plan their attacks. Have your keys in your hand before you leave the building. For extra protection hold a few of them in between your fingers to use as a weapon if needed. Wait until you are close to your car to unlock it. If you unlock it from across the lot, someone can easily hop in and hide without you noticing. Once you’re in the car, lock the doors and start driving. The safest option would be to never walk to your car alone. If no one is leaving when you are, ask someone to walk you to your car.
- Have a weapon to reach for: An umbrella, a set of keys or a pen can make all the difference in a moment of crisis.Look for stuff that might scare him away, break a window, turn on a car alarm or let some trash cans fly. So, Carry items that will help you out if you end up in a bad situation. At the very least, a whistle will alert other people around you that something is wrong and at best it may scare away any potential attacker. Personal pepper spray canisters are a great option
- Know Your Strengths & His Weakness : Your elbow is the strongest point on your body. If you get close enough, use it. If you end up on the ground, use your legs to kick free from your attacker. Go for his five weakest points: eyes, nose,throat, groin and knees. If you are grabbed around the waist from behind, pinch your attacker under the arm, in between the elbow and armpit or in the upper inner thigh… HARD.
- You Have the Right to Fight : Don’t be afraid to fight if you feel threatened in any way. The women who don’t resist are more likely to be assaulted and sustain more serious injuries than women who fight back. When under attack, always remember“Strike first! Strike hard! Strike fast! No mercy!” Direct any punches you throw at your attackers face . Your goal is not to stay and fight; it is to break away from your attacker so you can run for help.
- Stay Alert on Vacation: People on vacation are prime targets for predators, especially women travelling alone. Use valet parking if it’s available. Keep your hotel room locked and never let anyone in your room that you don’t know. If someone says they work for the hotel, call the front desk to confirm. Never leave an extra room key lying around for someone to grab, when the maid isn’t looking. Also, never let anyone know that you are travelling alone.
- Call for help: Calling for help may not provide it but it may scare the attacker enough to allow you to escape. Many women get confused and don’t know what to scream. Shouting ‘fire’ for instance can be better and more attention-grabbing than simply yelling ‘help’.
Facing the possibility of being the target of a violent crime is frightening, but there’s no need for women to live a paranoid-filled life. Although you can’t control every situation, you can make smarter decisions, like avoiding unnecessary risks. Learn to trust your intuition and how to defend yourself